Treyarch details Call of Duty: Vanguard Zombies Artifacts, Covenants, and perks
Treyarch has shared some new details about Call of Duty: Vanguard‘s Zombies mode ahead of the game’s release later this week.
To start with, players will be able to form a bond with four Dark Aether entities known as Saraxis the Shadow, Bellekar the Warlock, Inviktor the Destroyer, and Norticus the Conqueror to aid in the fight against Kortifex. These entities will provide commentary throughout the game as well as the following bonuses:
- Dragon of Saraxis: Spawns an Aethereal explosive, dealing massive damage to enemies who set it off.
- Mask of Bellekar: Cloaks you in Dark Aether, masking your presence from enemies for 5 seconds.
- Sword of Inviktor: Sparks a ring of Aethereal flame to boost damage for anyone within its radius for 15 seconds.
- Horn of Norticus: Summons a frigid vortex, damaging enemies with the initial blast and slowing those that enter.
In addition to Artifacts, Vanguard Zombies introduces the Altar of Covenants, which are powerful new abilities that can be equipped during matches. Players will have access to 11 of these Covenants at launch, with multiple rarities available for each. Players can have three Covenants active at any one time and the available Covenants will change after each objective. Take a look at the full list below:
- Bloodlust: Melee attacks do more damage and heal you.
- Resurrectionist: Revive allies faster.
- Brain Rot: Chance to turn enemies to your side.
- Cryofreeze: Chance to slow enemies.
- Death Blow: Critical kills return bullets to the clip.
- Ammo Gremlin: Stowed weapons refill ammo from stock automatically.
- Dead Accurate: Consecutive hits on the same enemy do more damage.
- Splatterfest: Enemies killed by explosions may explode.
- Unholy Ground: Deal more damage while stationary.
- Cull the Weak: Deal more damage to slowed or stunned enemies.
- Mother Lode: Chance to keep Equipment after using it.
Finally, Vanguard offers players a new set of upgradeable perks to choose from. As players complete objectives and unlock new areas of the forward operating base they will gain access to Perk Fountains. Unlike previous games, the first tier of each perk is free, with each being able to upgrade to Tier IV during a match by spending Essence. The five perks are:
- Fiendish Fortitude – Increases health.
- Diabolical Damage – Increases critical damage.
- Venomous Vigor – Boosts health regeneration speed.
- Demonic Frenzy – Boosts reload speed.
- Aethereal Haste – Boosts movement speed.
“In another Zombies first, you’ll keep the base-level Perks you’ve acquired so far if you’re downed, since the first Tier is free. But beware: you’ll also lose one Tier from each of your Perks, which can be devastating in high rounds,” Treyarch adds. “Remember, upgrading from Tier 3 to 4 costs far more than going from Tier 1 to 2, so you’ll need to stack your upgrades carefully to avoid bankrupting your Essence after you go down. Choose wisely.”
Call of Duty: Vanguard launches November 5th for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
Matt is one of the longest-serving members of the EGMNOW team. An ability to go many hours without sleep and a quick wit make him ideal for his role as associate editor at EGMNOW.com. He often thinks back to the days when the very idea of this career seemed like nothing but an impossible dream.