Ratchet & Clank celebrates 20th anniversary with cosmetics, new PS Plus titles
This year marks the 20th anniversary of the release of Insomniac Games’ Ratchet & Clank on PlayStation 2. To celebrate, Insomniac and Sony are offering up some in-game armor for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, as well as a few new (old) titles for PS Plus Premium subscribers to stream.
Starting today, Rift Apart owners can download the 20th Anniversary Armor Pack for free. The pack includes armor inspired by previous games in the series. Here’s what’s included:
- Commando Armor inspired by Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
- Holoflux Armor inspired by Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
- Quest Armor inspired by Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
- Marauder Armor inspired by Ratchet: Deadlocked
- Clank Armor to celebrate the greatest of pals
In addition, Sony will add five games from the series to the PS Plus Premium library on November 15th. Weirdly, those five games will show up as PS3 titles, meaning subscribers will have to stream them, even though all but one of them debuted on the PS2. They are:
- Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked (PS3)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
That’s not all that Sony has done to celebrate one of its longest-running franchises. You can read a snappy retrospective from the series’ creators and developers on the PlayStation Blog. While there’s no news yet about a Rift Apart sequel, as Insomniac has a lot on its plate with Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 and Marvel’s Wolverine, we’re keeping our fingers crossed, as Rift Apart did not disappoint.
Michael Goroff has written and edited for EGM since 2017. You can follow him on Twitter @gogogoroff.