Returnal update adjusts difficulty
Housemarque has released a new update for Returnal that fixes a number of issues and makes some balance adjustments.
Starting with balance, difficulty adjustments have been made to all biomes “for a more balanced gameplay experience,” according to the developer. Parasites will also no longer be rewarded to players when avenging their corpse.
There’s also a couple of fixes for the game’s Platinum trophy, including support for replaying Act 1 and 2 trophies, retroactive awards for trophies that cannot be replayed, and new locations for several Scout Logs. Read the full patch notes below:
- Platinum: Added support for replaying certain Act 1 & Act 2 Trophies
- Platinum: Added support to retroactively award Trophies which cannot be replayed
- Platinum: Added additional locations for Scout Logs 9, 34, 35 & 46 to appear more often
- Platinum: Fixed an issue where 1 Cipher was sometimes unobtainable for Biome Survey Trophies
- Platinum: Fixed an issue where some Activity Cards displayed an incorrect count
- UI: HUD labels for items are now hidden when Selene is firing a weapon
- UI: Fixed an issue where 2 actions could be mapped to a single button after switching controller presets
- Cinematics: Fixed a rare audio sync issue in the secret ending
- Audio: General mix improvements across the experience
- Audio: Improved surround sound setup support across the experience
- Audio: Added more DualSense haptics across cinematic moments for deeper immersion
- Audio: Added DualSense haptics when using the Icarian Grapnel
- Audio: Improved the dynamic range recommendations system
- Audio: Allow users to override the dynamic range recommendations
- Audio: Allow users to change audio output from the game menu
- Balance: Various bug fixes to certain artifacts, parasites, consumables, and when certain malfunctions can occur in the early parts of the game
- Balance: Players no longer receive parasites as rewards when players avenge their corpses
- Balance: Enemies, Weapons, and Bosses – difficulty adjustments in all Biomes for a more balanced gameplay experience
- Fixed an issue where Hyperion may drop the Key out of reach
- Fixed an issue where Ophion may become invisible if the player uses a Reconstructor during the fight
- Fixed weapons not being found in Biomes after scanning but not collecting them
- Fixed an issue where Selene could jump impossibly long distances
- Fixed multiple issues where Selene may become trapped in a room
- Fixed a rare freezing issue when teleporting in Crimson Wastes
- Fixed occasional frame rate drops when using the Electropylon Driver
- Performance improvements, crash fixes, and multiple minor bug fixes
Returnal is available now on PlayStation 5.
Matt is one of the longest-serving members of the EGMNOW team. An ability to go many hours without sleep and a quick wit make him ideal for his role as associate editor at EGMNOW.com. He often thinks back to the days when the very idea of this career seemed like nothing but an impossible dream.