PlayStation 5 price increased in Europe, Canada, and other markets
Sony Interactive Entertainment has increased the price of both the disc and Digital Edition of the PlayStation 5 effective immediately.
The RRP of both consoles has been bumped up in Europe, the U.K., China, Australia, Mexico, and Canada. Japan will also see a price increase, but it is being held off until September 15th. Sony notes that there will be no price increase in the United States.
A complete list of the new RRPs in each of the markets mentioned can be found below:
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
Japan (effective Sept. 15th, 2022)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥60,478 yen (including tax)
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥49,478 yen (including tax)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95
- PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999
- PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99
In a PlayStation Blog post, president and CEO of SIE Jim Ryan explained that the reason for the increase in price was due to “challenging economic conditions,” such as “high global inflation rates, as well as adverse currency trends.”
“While this price increase is a necessity given the current global economic environment and its impact on SIE’s business, our top priority continues to be improving the PS5 supply situation so that as many players as possible can experience everything that PS5 offers and what’s still to come,” Ryan added.
Matt is one of the longest-serving members of the EGMNOW team. An ability to go many hours without sleep and a quick wit make him ideal for his role as associate editor at EGMNOW.com. He often thinks back to the days when the very idea of this career seemed like nothing but an impossible dream.