Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are being removed from sale temporarily
Konami has announced that it is removing Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and all products that include these titles from digital storefronts temporarily due to licenses expiring for historical archive footage.
“We are currently working on renewing the licenses for select historical archive footage used in-game, therefore, we have made the temporary decision to begin suspending the sale of Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and all products that include these games from digital storefronts globally starting from November 8th, 2021,” Konami said in a statement on its official site.
As of today, the following games have been removed from sale on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, Nintendo 3DS, and PC:
- PlayStation 3 METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY HD EDITION
- PlayStation 3 METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER HD EDITION
- PlayStation 3 METAL GEAR SOLID HD EDITION
- PlayStation Vita METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY HD EDITION
- PlayStation Vita METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER HD EDITION
- PlayStation Vita METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION
- PlayStation Now METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION
- Xbox 360 METAL GEAR SOLID HD EDITION: 2 & 3
- Nintendo 3DS METAL GEAR SOLID SNAKE EATER 3D
- GOG.com METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SUBSTANCE
- NVIDIA SHIELD METAL GEAR SOLID 2 HD for SHIELD TV
- NVIDIA SHIELD METAL GEAR SOLID 3 HD for SHIELD TV
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was originally released for PlayStation 2 in 2001, while Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater followed in 2004.
Matt is one of the longest-serving members of the EGMNOW team. An ability to go many hours without sleep and a quick wit make him ideal for his role as associate editor at EGMNOW.com. He often thinks back to the days when the very idea of this career seemed like nothing but an impossible dream.