Horizon Forbidden West update introduces Variable Refresh Rate support and 40Hz mode
Guerrilla Games has added three new graphics options to Horizon Forbidden West with the release of today’s update.
After installing the update, players will be able to activate Variable Refresh Rate and High Refresh Rate modes. The former removes screen tearing and stuttering when the game dips below 60 FPS, while the latter targets a refresh rate between 60Hz and 120Hz.
In addition to the above, a “Balanced” graphics mode is now available that targets 40 FPS on supported displays.
This update also contains a number of fixes, including stopping Elemental Arrows from fully upgraded bows destroying canisters, not being able to loot Desert Bird Wing, and more. Read the full patch notes below:
NEW FEATURES (PlayStation 5)
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and High Refresh Rate (HFR) support
- VRR improves dynamic resolution scaling on 60Hz
- VRR & HFR targets a refresh rate between 60Hz and 120Hz
- New “Balanced” Graphics Mode introducing 40Hz for supported displays
We are currently looking into several issues reported by the community. Please note that these issues are not yet fixed in this patch, but our teams are aware of them, and they’re being investigated.
FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
Performance and Stability
- Multiple crash fixes.
- Fixed an issue in Main Quest “The Wings of the Ten” where the objective “Defeat Regalla” was not updating.
- Fixed an issue in Main Quest “The Wings of the Ten” where the “Sunwings” might be missing during the objective “Override a Sunwing”.
- Fixed an issue in Main Quest “All That Remains” where the cinematic with Tilda after the gallery might not start.
- Fixed an issue in Main Quest “The Broken Sky” where sometimes Dekka would be behind Hekarro’s throne during the objective “Talk to Dekka”.
- Fixed an issue in Side Quest “Shadow in the West” where the objective “Kill Vezreh and His Machine” was not updating.
- Fixed an issue in Side Quest “The Gate Of The Vanquished” where the objective “Defeat Yarra/Drakka” was not updating.
- Fixed an issue in Errand “Nights of Lights” where collecting the “Gizmo” earlier would block progress.
- Fixed issues in Relic Ruin “The Stillsands” where the activity would be blocked.
- Fixed an issue where the “Dreadwing” would remain cloaked when knocked down.
- Fixed an issue where “Apex Clawstrider Hearts” would be placed in “Valuables to Sell” in the inventory
- Fixed an issue where “Elemental Arrows” from fully upgraded bows would destroy canisters instead of detonating them.
- Fixed an issue where using “Elite Precision Arrows” with “Iriv’s Downfall” would not deal additional damage for enemies in “Brittle” state.
- Updated text for selecting “Ultra Hard” difficulty to clarify that the setting cannot be changed.
- Removed exclamation point icon when all skills have been unlocked and skill points are available.
- Fixed an issue where “Desert Bird Wing” could not be looted from birds.
- Fixed an issue where trophy “All Machine Types Scanned” would not unlock, if scanning remaining machines on NG+
- Fixed an issue where changing the “Crouch/Slide” button to R1 would make it unusable.
- Multiple localization and subtitles fixes and improvements.
Horizon Forbidden West is available now on PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.
Matt is one of the longest-serving members of the EGMNOW team. An ability to go many hours without sleep and a quick wit make him ideal for his role as associate editor at EGMNOW.com. He often thinks back to the days when the very idea of this career seemed like nothing but an impossible dream.